Can the Police Search My Car? Tips from the Best Drug Lawyer in West Palm Beach!
You may be driving along, only to see those unsettling red and blue lights pop up in your rearview mirror. If you have illegal substances or anything incriminating in your vehicle, you may head straight into panic mode. But there are ways to avoid a vehicle search. At The Law Office of Patrick R. McKamey, P.A., we offer the best criminal defense West Palm Beach has to offer. Our drug lawyers have put together some top tips on how to avoid a vehicle search from police officers.
How can I stop the cops from searching my car?
The legal loopholes police officers use to search cars for drugs and other illegal items are tough to spot in the moment. It’s important to remember that you do have rights, and you can defend your rights. It starts with maintaining respect for the officer and calmly persisting to defend your rights.
Staying calm, cool and collected is the first step to take when you’re trying to avoid a police search of your vehicle. If you’ve been pulled over and an officer wants to search your vehicle, consider our tips:
- Pull over immediately and turn the vehicle off when the officer approaches
- Stay calm, keep your hands on the wheel unless instructed otherwise
- Treat the officer with respect to get respect in return
- Only retrieve your license and registration when the officer asks for it
- If it’s nighttime, keep inside lights on so the officer can see into your vehicle,
- Make sure your car does not smell of drugs or alcohol,